St James Vets

Walter Road SurgeryHistory

St. James Veterinary Group is one of the longest established practices in South Wales and has been based at Walter Road since 1946.

Before that the practice was called ‘Cooke and Davies’ and was established in Mansel Street in the 1920s. At that time the work of the practice was mainly treating farm animals, horses and pit ponies! In the late 1940s (After the Second World War) the practice moved premises to its current location in Walter Road. The premises was at that time the house of the vet Ernest Pugh, who came from a large well-established veterinary family. Initially the surgery was run from the basement of the house, but later expanded to fill the whole building.

In 1956 David Jones joined the practice as an assistant. He became a Partner in 1960 and the surgery became known as ‘Pugh and Jones’.

Pugh retired in the mid 1960s and David Jones took over. He was later joined in Partnership by Raj Hukku and David Williams. At this point the workload was mixed but still predominantly large animal in nature.

Mr Hukku retired in 1984 and David Roberts and John Jones (David Jones’ son) joined the practice as Partners.

Morriston SurgeryIn 1986 the practice opened its first branch surgery in the old fire station in Martin Street, Morriston. The building is Grade II listed and was previously a police station before being taken over by the fire service. Initially this surgery only offered consultations, but has now expanded its service to offer routine operating and dental facilities.

In 1989 David Williams passed away and David Jones retired and John Jones took a year off leaving David Roberts to run the surgery. In 1990 John returned after fulfilling an ambition to travel the southern hemisphere and the Partnership was resumed.

In 1995 Ifan Lloyd joined the practice as a Partner, completing the current Partnership and the practice name was changed to ‘St.James Veterinary Group’.

In 1996 the practice took over the clients of a neighbouring surgery in Brunswick Street when the vet John Harris retired.

Whitegates SurgeryIn 1997 the practice started employing nursing staff to work overnight at the main surgery in Walter Road. This improved the service to clients by ensuring that any hospitalised patients receive nursing care 24 hours a day, something that most practices still do not offer!

The practice continued to expand and in 1998 opened its second branch surgery in Mayals. This is a large branch and is situated in the old Whitegates nursing home overlooking Clyne Gardens. The surgery is equipped with full operating, x-ray and dental facilities, as well as in house blood analysers.

In 2003 the practice welcomed a specialist Lance Jepson, who concentrates solely on the treatment of exotic species. Lance now runs his referral clinic from the practice once a week.

Neath SurgeryThe most recent addition to the Group is a new surgery in Neath. This branch opened in Lewis Road, in October 2004 and is also based in a converted nursing home! Like the Whitegates surgery it is fully equipped and can offer a full range of services.

St.James’ Veterinary Group is now a predominantly small animal practice. However, we continue to offer a comprehensive range of farm animal veterinary services and have a growing equine client base.

There are no immediate plans to expand any further, but who knows what will happen in the future. Watch this space!